Saturday, January 29, 2011

Zen Quotes and Tarot - Thinking Outside the Box

I love my page a day Zen calendar! Yesterday, when I read the quote for the day, the cards that I felt described it, flipped through my head in a rapid succession.

"We experience ourselves, our thoughts, and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us."


-Albert Einstein

From the Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot~

After reading his quote and digesting it for a spell, I came to the conclusion that he was basically saying, "Think outside of the box!". So after laying out the RWS cards first, I then got the Osho Zen and did the same. Aha! Check out the girl with her head in the box. lol! In the book, this card is called Clinging to the Past, and described as, "Its time to face up to the fact that the past is gone, and any effort to repeat it is a sure way to stay stuck in old blueprints that you would have already outgrown if you hadn't been clinging to what you have already been through." Einstein also said that insanity was trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!

From the Osho Zen Tarot~

I really like the Osho's version of the Devil too. It's called Conditioning, and upon reflecting on that too, I thought of how very true that was. If we're conditioned or taught that things should be a certain way, then they most certainly will be. So today I will look in the mirror and not see myself as just another sheep in the herd. I will think outside the box, and become conscious of my own true identity (without feeling guilty about it!). I will see us as all interconnected beings who are simply struggling within the narrow confines of what we've been taught from the past. I will widen my focus and attempt to show love to everyone. This will be MY new vision. How will you think outside the box today? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment